Sunday, October 28, 2007

Mumbai in Pictures


Why is this guy pissed off?

The monsoon storms would periodically fill the streets around my apartment building with water. The water would be pretty high for a few hours, before finally draining off. Little waves would ripple out along the street, over the sidewalk and up driveways or to the walls lining the street. During this storm I sat in my apartment hoping to get out of going to work (eventually the water went down and I had to go) and watching people pick their way along the street, off to do the things that couldn’t be put off because of a silly little monsoon. People wading to work, women running errands through the calf high water, girls with their jeans rolled way up off to school. My favorite was the guy biking through all the muck.

The guy in this picture must have had to go to work and was bravely trying not to get too wet. He was walking along the sidewalk so he wouldn’t be in the deeper water at street level. He had been doing ok, but Then he fell shoulder deep through a broken manhole cover into the water, dropping his basket of stuff everywhere. Boy, was he pissed. And I couldn’t believe that someone actually fell into a manhole. That was what everyone kept warning me about after the first flood: Watch out, don’t walk around in the water, you could fall through a manhole. But it sounded like an urban legend- like something that everyone talks about but that doesn’t ever actually happen to anyone. But then it did! I saw it! The kids in my classes later that day were impressed.

The guy was ok. I was wondering if I needed to go down to help him or something when he started moving and pulling himself out and back onto the sidewalk. He looked like he was swearing up a storm though. He gathered up the contents of his basket and loaded everything back onto his head, and started heading back the way he had come. I think he had decided “Screw everything, I am going home.” But then 5 minutes later I saw that he had turned back around and had continued on his way to work. I guess he figured, eh, I am already wet. Can’t do me any harm keep going. Besides, my day already sucks. May as well go to work.

2 comments:

Jane said...

So, are there covers on the manholes, or do they float off in the storm? I am imagining an open hole, but perhaps you can elaborate. A cover would be heavy, but perhaps the force of water pushes it off.

evelyn in taiwan said...

many of the manholes have covers, but a lot of the covers are in bad repair, and several are just broken. so when there is no water, there is a big hole in the ground. but at least you can see it and not walk into it when it is dry out!