Sunday, October 28, 2007


Cows are everywhere. I thought, when I first got here, “How nice that people bring these cows into the city to hang out for the day. I wonder where the cow train leaves from, to take them all back home at night. They must like getting out, seeing different things. It is probably hard to get out much, as a cow. I wonder if they prefer the city to the farm where they live. Perhaps it is more exciting for them in the city.” After about a month and a half of having this pleasant idea lodged in my brain, I realized: They live here, in the city. They don’t go home at night. And there are a lot of them in Bombay- and they live pretty much where ever they want to. The cows always have the right of way, in traffic and on the street. People sometimes get killed in accidents, cows don’t. The cows hold a godmother like place in Hinduism, because they are the givers of milk. No hurting cows.

No comments: