Monday, October 15, 2007


I knew that I had to head roughly west to get to the train line, and that if I could get to the tracks I would just have to walk north or south a few blocks to get to a station. I started following the roads west. After a few blocks, the road split, so I asked a woman which way I should go. She wasn’t sure how to explain to me how to get to a station, and eventually pointed me down one road and told me to ask someone which way to go at the end of that road. I went down a couple of blocks, and realized that she had sent me east. I was back where I had been earlier in the day. Hmm. Ok, well I will keep heading down until I find a major road. I don’t think this is the right way, but she is the one who lives here. I turned south, along the way I had come that morning. I went west again at the next road. At the end of the block the road split again, so I asked someone the best way to go. She sent me back the way I had come. Huh. Irritating. Am I completely turned around? I walked back, and at the next intersection, and asked someone again which way I should go. She pointed back in the direction I had originally come before my last turn bqck tracking once again. Huh. Ok, am I just really turned around? Then I noticed that the sun was setting. So I knew for sure which way west was. And I had been heading the right direction, both times I had been told to turn around. Apparently I am stopping idiots and asking them for directions. Damn it. Forget this maze of a city, forget these crazy people who don’t know where the train is, I am walking all the way back to the damn mosque and just going back the way I came earlier. No more asking directions, no more confusion and backtracking. So I walked back, and made it to the train station. It was weird though, how all three of the women I asked pointed me in exactly the wrong direction. They had seemed to understand my question, but it was like they couldn’t figure out what I was talking about.

On that note, I went to a restaurant the other day and couldn’t order what I wanted. I walked into the restaurant, paused, smiled, and was pointed to a table. A waiter gave me a menu. When it was clear that I had decided what to order, one of the waiters came over and asked what I wanted. He couldn’t understand what I said: totally understandable. I am in a Chinese restaurant in India. My waiter doesn’t speak English. Fair enough. So I opened up the menu and pointed to what I wanted. He said something back that I couldn’t understand. I smiled and shook my head and shrugged, not being able to understand him either, and then pointed again to the thing on the menu that I wanted. He said something again. We went back and forth for a minute, and another waiter came over. The same thing happened. I am pretty sure they were not saying “That isn’t available” because that would have looked like “no” or something. I feel that I would have been able to understand that. I feel that very strongly. By the time the third waiter had come over, I had just started pointing at one of the vegetable fried rice things. Finally one of them was like, fried rice? Yeah, fried rice. (I really really didn’t feel like having a big plate of fried rice.) They brought me a big bowl of fried rice. I ate it with as much grace as I could muster. It wasn’t even vegetable fried rice, which was what I had last pointed to on the menu. Sure enough, when I got my bill, it was for a different price than the thing I had been pointing to. I know they got the concept of rice-with-an-entree, because that was what they were bringing everyone else. But the waiters couldn’t get it together for me. And, seriously, what was the problem? I think they may have been morons. This couldn’t have been cultural. They handed me a menu, which is, by definition, a list of Options. Choices. I made a Choice. A Decision. A Selection, from the list of Options That You Gave Me When I Came In. We don’t speak the same language, sure, but what eloquence do you need to communicate a simple menu choice? By handing me the menu, you were saying, albeit implicitly, that you were offering me a choice of these dishes. I didn’t walk in with my own menu and start demanding grilled peacock and nectar of the gods. We entered into a basic social contract. By opening up your restaurant to the public, you offer to make food, I offer to eat and pay for it. Nothing complicated. Nothing tricky. Nothing subtle. This is a relationship that millions of people enter into with millions of establishments on a daily basis. This must be the fourth or fifth oldest business in the world. I wanted Vegetable Manchurian! I would have settled for Vegetable Anything! You didn’t understand pointing! Who doesn’t understand pointing? I insist that I was being neither stupid nor intolerant! Why couldn’t you understand what I wanted? Why why why? Why couldn’t you put together the simple logic of the situation? What, in short, was the issue?

I feel better now. I had been holding a lot inside there. I think I get why McSweeney’s does that “Letters to People Unlikely to Respond” thing now. It is totally therapeutic.

I got some kickass flipflops on the way home from the Chinese food restaurant. So there is a happy ending.

My foray into the Chinese food restaurant was precipitated by the search for yet another restaurant that doesn’t exist from the guidebook. The mockery of fate. I swear I am going to find the guy who wrote that book.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot count how many times I've ordered something at a resturant and been brought something else (and this was from people who spoke english). My theory on menus is that most of the stuff listed on them is probably okay to eat. I've always found a confused food order a bit humorous I'm still at the stage where I find it amazing I can afford to eat out in a resturant at all. Bring me anything.

Asking for directions is always a bit dodgy. You would probably be amazed at how many people go through life without having any good sense of where they are. Or even the number of people who can't point to within a quadrant of north most of the time. Next time you're near the Pike St. Market, try asking directions to the space needle in broken english. Might be fun.

Of course you could have made finding the train even more fun by pantomiming the locomotive along with choo choo noises, air brakes & the train whistle. I've had mixed (but interesting) results with this technique in foreign lands. We do have this built in tendency of not wanting to look ridiculous...still...
p.

Unknown said...

every restaurant I went to in Malawi resulted in the same exchange:
"can I have the ____ please?"
that is not available today.
"oh. well, then I will have ____."
that is not available either.
"what do you have today?"
nsima and chicken.
every restaurant. I would walk in, be handed a menu, and have to order multiple items before being told there was only one thing on the menu (nsima, by the way, is a mushy polenta-like corn mush, which is paper dry to eat plain, but which I did a lot of, as it was always served with chicken). I never got why they even handed me a menu if there was only one option. i think it is just some sort of cultural courtesy that is backwards to us, but makes perfect sense to them.

again, it seems counter-intuitive to us, but I think the mis-directions thing is also a courtesy exchange gone awry. people want to help you, so they make something up. clearly being sent in the wrong direction is unhelpful, but somehow answering your question inaccurately is better than saying i don't know. it's amazing how people can send you in the wrong direction so confidently - yes, yes, the train is that way - and think they have done the right thing.

Kenneth said...

That sounds like fun - let's go downtown and pretend to be from France or Germany, and start asking directions.

Does this happen to everyone, or do I just give off this vibe - I get asked for directions from random strangers several times a month at least. People pull their cars over on the side of the road to ask me how to get places. Most of the time it's just something simple: go up the road about a mile and take a left on 15th. Occasionally, they really are lost: you're looking for I5? But you're in Redmond. Take that highway over there 15 miles that way. Sometimes I have no idea, but I try to be up front - I think it's this way, but I'm honestly not sure.

Just think about the other kind of bad service - being completely ignored. Better to be confronted with no idea what you're talking about than to be treated like you don't exist - just think of every bar and restaurant in Portland, and be happy you're getting some attention :)

Anonymous said...

Need pic. I've never seen "kickass flipflops". But I do really like the juxtaposing of unlikely words. Somehow I just get the feeling south asia wrote the book on flipflops. I've tried and tried to wear them, but the part where they keep bouncing off the bottoms of my feet is just so distracting. It's like I'm being attacked by my own shoes. I remember being issued a pair in bootcamp for "shower shoes". I mentioned to the gentleman that I really didn't want to be using these showers if I needed to wear shoes in order to avoid picking up foot diseases. It turned out the gentleman really wasn't interested in my opinion.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone ever sends in corrections to the guidebook you are using.
p.

Unknown said...

not just you. happens to me too. I like to think of it as a compliment - hey, they must think I know what I'm doing! or, I'm not so drunk and scary looking that they are afraid to approach me! if you're really lucky, you get to be that nice stranger who gets written about as helpful on someone's travel blog.

evelyn in taiwan said...

i think i will go downtown and ask directions to the space needle and see what i get. that could be a fun afternoon.

cara- i have heard that too, from other travelers. it is sad to tell someone you don't know where something is, and the direction giver doesn't want to disappoint you, so they feel confident that they are doing the right thing by giving you detailed directions somewhere. just somewhere. you are supposd to ask like 3 people before you actually change direction. i guess i should have. but i must have been so close. the taxi driver didn't even want to take me, he said it wasn't worth it for him.

my flip flips are pink and velvety and cost $1.25. and i got quoted the indian price, not the foreigner price. woo hoo!