Monday, October 15, 2007


I stood outside the worship area looking around, not wanting to disturb the faithful at prayer. But then a security guard came up and was like, go in, go in, go in! Want to see? Take off your shoes. -Ok, I would like to go in if it is ok. - Go! Go! -Oh, uh, ok.

So I took off my shoes and went in. The shrines were beautiful. One Mumba Devi was red, one had scary looking statues as guards. The same offerings ritual as the one I saw at Malaxshmi was going on, with the offerings coming in and going out, and the monks swiftly moving stuff around. I followed the crowd around the shrine and then back out to the front. I went over to my shoes, which the security guard was watching for me. (Wow, that was nice. He wasn’t watching anyone else’s shoes.) He and this other guy were like, did you get some pictures? Take some pictures? Oh, uh, no. Is it ok? (I remember how they were very anti picture at Malaxshmi.) Yeah! Go ahead! They really wanted me to take some pictures.

So I went back in and took a few photos. I tried to stay out of the way of those who were there to worship, but the people there were like, come up! Come up!! Get a good shot! -Oh, I don’t want to get in the way. -Stand here! Go up front! -Oh, uh, ok. Thanks! So I went up and took some pictures. The people here are so kind so much of the time. It was funny too how the worshipper also seemed to want me to get a good picture of the deity. In most temples I would think that they wouldn’t want you clopping around like a great big tourist snapping photos of their sacred stuff.

No comments: