Tuesday, October 23, 2007


I relaxed in the Gardens for a while, then crossed the street to look at the park. There is a beautiful view of “The Queen’s Necklace” from the park: the whole of Marine Drive- from Chowpatty Beach at one end to Nariman Point at the other.

As I was leaving the park a kid yelled Hi! How are you! I waved back, and she followed me to the gate, giggling. I said Hi! How are you? Some moms giggled too, and I waved as I left.

I was relieved to find that I am not an anathema to all small children, even if I am Scary White Lady.

The gardens are in a part of town called Malabar Hill, an extremely expensive place to live, with palatial apartment buildings decked out in marble, stained glass and gilt stuff. As I took in a little of the neighborhood, I came across an empty lot filled with trash and a rickety volleyball court and a broken down car. An empty lot with a view of the sea and the city! Who owns that property? The taxes on it alone must be ridiculous. I stood shaking my head and watching what was probably the most expensive volleyball game I have ever seen (at least in terms of location) for a few minutes before heading off.

No comments: