Tuesday, September 18, 2007


The sculpture in the main cave was cool. The cave is a large hall with a bunch of pillars in it, carved, I remind you, out of solid bedrock. There was a Trimurti, a three faced sculpture of the head of a Hindu god. It is as tall as a double decker bus, the guidebook says. (other guidebook specifies 6 meters) The guidebook also says that the faces are Shiva in 3 of his forms: creator (regular Shiva), preserver (as a female), and destroyer (with a ‘stache). My GMAT class, however, begs to differ. They say that the faces are of 3 of the big gods, Brahma, the creator, Vishnu, the preserver, and Shiva, the destroyer. They said that no one pays as much attention to Brahma, he just creates. Shiva, as the destroyer, people leave alone. Vishnu is the big one, because he is in charge of management. He deals with the day to day stuff. He is the one people name their kids after. I believe my class, after all it is their religion.

The head is huge. It lurks ominously in the back of the cave.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I first thought I was viewing the "black hole of Calcutta" but when I clicked on it and enlarged it, eureka, an Indian princess. Cassie

Kenneth said...

Gods don't destroy things.

Gods with mustaches destroy things.

evelyn in taiwan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.