Sunday, September 23, 2007


I love that she does my laundry. I love not doing my laundry, especially since I had been doing it by hand. There are no laundromats here, only drycleaners. After washing my clothes for a week when I first got here, I took a load to the drycleaners. And so, I have had my underwear dry cleaned. But that was expensive, so I love that it gets done now.

She washes it and puts it on a drying rack in the bathroom. The laundry takes a little while to dry in the monsoon season, so I move the rack out into the bedroom so it gets the benefit of the fan while I am home. She doesn’t know that I move it, because I am always careful to put it back in the bathroom before she comes. Ha, she thinks it stays in the bathroom all the time.

It has been really hot the past few days, even at night. I can tell that the weather has been drier because my clothes dried really fast today. Usually they are mostly dry but damp in places the morning after they are washed. Today they were crispy and dry before I went to bed. It has been hot.

It will be hard to come home and have to sweep my own floor again. Oh, wait. No. It will be hard to come home and live with a floor that never gets swept again. I wonder if she wants to come to the US with me. She can live in my closet.

I really do hate sweeping. I remember one weekend my old roommate Nate went out of town. I felt like cleaning the apartment, so I dusted and swept and everything. When he came home he was so surprised by the vacuumed carpet that he checked my room, to make sure I hadn’t moved out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought K did the sweeping! Mom

Anonymous said...

Personalities do differ. I love sweeping. Dusting not so much. Having a housekeeper can be very addictive even if they do like to rearrange the furniture. In my limited travels in central and south america, it seemed that every family who could afford to live in a house also had at least one housekeeper and a cook. It's nice to have all that stuff taken care of isn't it? Just ask any guy.
p.

Jane said...

I am assuming that your new clothes are cotton fabric. How do they wash? Do you have to iron them? Does the maid do ironing too?

evelyn in taiwan said...

no ironing. i have no iron, and even if i did, i find it easier to send my clothes to my mom to iron. (i hate it and she likes it.)

Jane said...

Must be generational, as I don't mind ironing either. Now that I leave the board up all the time in my sewing room, it is easy and there is no excuse. I did quite a bit of ironing for a friend once, years ago, and she still comments on how wonderful that was. It is a little embarrasing after all this time. I continue to love the posts. Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

I've taught your dad to iron, maybe I can teach you next time you caome home for an event and your clothes are all in a ball.Mom

Anonymous said...

Learning to take pleasure in as many of the little chores in life is most certainly on the path to happiness. Back in the '50s I recall my own mother having a Tuesday ironing ritual as part of the weekly laundry process. She had some sort of sprinkle head that fit on a coke bottle. I seem to recall some sort of weak starch solution being mixed in. She would sprinkle the line dried items in the morning, roll them up neatly in a basket, then iron the still slightly damp clothes for at least a couple of hours in the afternoon. Why no steam iron? Probably too expensive, or the tap water was hard and ruined them, or distilled water was too expensive, or this was how my mother did it, etc. I do believe that at some point she came to her senses and discovered the miracle of polyblends and that not ironing could be just as fun as ironing.

Evelyn, now that you know I think you should hold out for a housekeeper. Better yet get a cute little apron for Kenneth and work on his training. I believe he is still somewhat capable if you are diligent and have patience.
p.

Kenneth said...

Ah, but just like Evelyn, Kenneth doesn't really care if his clothes are wrinkled (surely you've all noticed this.) He might think he cares, he might claim to care, he might admit to the importance of caring, but he doesn't really, actually, care.

It has made an impact in his career, but not in his happiness.

Evelyn and Kenneth are quite likely to look at the ironing board, and look at each other, and jinx each other by saying "screw it" at the same time.