Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pictures


These don’t really give you a very good idea of what stuff is like here, but I have been a little shy about taking pictures, since there are always so many people around. All the people means I am in the way if I stop to take a picture, or someone tries to sell me something because I have stopped moving for a second, or I am taking a shot of something with people in it, and I feel weird taking a picture of a bunch of people without asking if they mind.
This is inside of the ladies’ first class travel compartment. Cosy, eh? This is around 8 or 9 on a Sunday, so it was fairly empty and I felt ok taking a picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't get the full flavour of this pic until I enlarged it. It reminds me of the police station/military jail in Santiago, Chile (circa 1978). Same pipe, steel mesh and chipped green paint. The hangers would be for storing and processing the bodies? Verrry cheery!
p.

Jane said...

Well, I understand the feeling about taking pictures. We are in Amish country. Do I snap a pix of a horse and buggy going down the street or not? I have taken a few, but by using my telephoto, I hope I am not too intrusive. Since some Amish buggy owners offer rides, and along with it, pictures, some of this is very commercial. We are going out in a little while to find some covered bridges and some produce stands. OK, from NH, covered bridges are not a big deal to you, but I find them to be unique. I enjoy your posts, even the unsettling ones. Come back safe and sound. Jane

Kenneth said...

Glad I'm not a strap-hanger there. Those "straps" look very close together. I would think if you're packed that tightly, you wouldn't actually need to hang onto anything, you'd just be kept vertical by the pressure of the other bodies.