Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Not super cheerful about my first impressions

7/7/07
I think I remember reading that today as some ridiculously popular day for getting married. Makes me want to watch "Lucky Number Slevin."

I don't have too much time to write right now. My laptop is broken, and that puts a serious cramp in my style. My life is kind of boring too, since I have just been teaching a lot.

Everything is dirty. This country smells like old trash. Not everywhere, exactly, but a lot of places, a lot of the time. The places that don't smell like trash often smell like my grandmother's summer house at bible camp. A whole city that smells like trash and bible camp. I guess I'll get used to it, no one else seems to mind.

I asked my neighbor where I should take my trash out to, and she showed me the trash bins out in front of my building. She made sure I knew that the bins were emptied every day, but I am not sure why she made a point of it, because it appears that the bins are just emptied into a big pile a half a block away. There, the big pile of trash festers. Then the foul stench that arises from the trash attacks when you least expect it.

There are a lot of piles trash. But they don't seem to grow, they stay at an even level. I don't know what to make of this. I guess the piles get gathered and taken away at some point? -It doesn't matter that the pile is gone though, the places where they grow are always wretched. I call one lane I have to walk down to get to work Stench Alley. Then there is The Foul Stench, on my way to the store, and The Stench Ghost, which lurks all over the place, invisible to the eye but terrible to the nose. He appears even when there is no garbage to be seen.
***
I am reading "Maximum City," a book about Mumbai. The author makes the observation that public spaces in the city- sidewalks, streets, even the common stairwells in buildings- are disgusting. Private spaces are beautiful and clean, but the clean line stops at the door. I think this is probably always somewhat true, no matter where you are in the world, but here the clean/dirty line is stark. Beautiful offices and homes, but filthy streets and sidewalks. I was really surprised to see a guy sweeping the sidewalk in front of his business this morning, it was the first time I had seen anything like that. The two office that I work in are very nice, but the buildings they are in, from the outside, look crappy. Peeling paint, rundown stonework, unvarnished wooden stairs. Then on the inside, nice wooden flooring, clean walls, plants, airconditioning. It is like night and day.

There are a lot of slums. Slums are a fact of life here. The buildings in the slums are knocked together with corrugated metal and wood, and then they are wired with electricity and hooked up to water. The constructions can be 2-3 stories high, and they look like a solid wind would knock them to rubble. But they stay up, held together by rope and habit. I think it simply hasn't occured to most of them to fall down. Or maybe it is that falling down would be more trouble than just staying where they are. I don't know what kinds of lives are led there, in that kind of housing, and how it affects the rest of your life. I get the impression, from some of my reading, that they are like little villages within the larger city, little neighborhoods. Especially since you are so close to everyone who lives around you. My boss here was telling me that there was a plan to try to get people out of the slums and into subsidized/free housing on the outskirts of town. The government built the housing, and offer rooms to people in the slums. So people from the slums would take an apt, and then rent it out to someone else, and then go back to their place in town, because that is where their neighborhood was.

There are also a lot of homeless people here, or rather, people making their homes on sidewalks. All it takes is a tarp lying around, and you have shelter.

I will try to get some pictures up soon!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do some sightseeing - beyond the stench and trash, there must be some beauty. Mumbai on the net website lists 1, 2 and 3 day walking tours you can do yourself - I guess that is if you can find the starting point!

You haven't mentioned the humidity. How bad is it?

Mom

Anonymous said...

Stinky would be hard to get past.

I heard an interesting story about the slums of Mumbai on NPR. They were saying that the buildings, or shacks, were built up right next to each other. So the interiors of the shacks get no outside sunlight. It'll be midday and bright outside but dark as night inside.

Susan

Anonymous said...

A report on BBC radio this morning talked about all the families squatting on land around the Mumbai airport. The port authority ignored it for so many years there is now a huge resettlement issue to resolve (1 million plus people) before they can expand the runways and terminals.

You haven't mentioned the teaching part yet. What are your students like? Are there any characteristics that distinguish this group from those in Taiwan or Seattle?
p.

Jane said...

Hi Sweetie. I asked your sweet babboo about how you were doing, but I never received the link to this site. Now I have it, and in my favorites. We are on the Atlantic ocean, in Delaware, in a place called Bethany Beach. We are at a little national guard base, right on the ocean, and tomorrow, we will leave here and go to a state park on Chesapeake Bay. We have been to several outdoor produce markets. The corn is to die for. I know you love corn. It is picked only a few hours before and melts in your mouth. We aren't getting great internet service here but will try to keep up with your travels and in touch. (We are at McDonald's right now, one of the few places we can go. We can't use the library internet here because we aren't Delaware residents) So, I hope all gets better with your adventure.

evelyn in taiwan said...

the students are the same. i thought they would be more intense, but as a rule, they arent. some are, but so are some in the us and so were some in taiwan. lots dont do their hw, some do. they rarely do exactly what i say. people are people.

the slums are built right up next to each other. i can't imagine the quality of life is high in those things. and i think, from my reading, that lots of people live in small spaces. in maximum city, a family was descibed as living with 6 adults in one room. parents sleep on the couch in front, 2 older brothers share a twin bed, one brother sleeps underneath the bed, and the daughter sleeps under the table.

some of them are built with concrete, which is perfect, hot in summmer and cool in winter.

evelyn in taiwan said...

i will start seeing pretty stuff soon, i have been working so much that on my day off i have just wanted to sit, or at most run an errand or two. this thursay i am going to go see my friend poonam's parents for supper, so that will be fun. a completely non princeton review interaction!

evelyn in taiwan said...

also peter, i totally believe that about the airport. i didn't se it, but that is the way stuff seems to work over here.

Unknown said...

when did you get a baboon?