Thursday, July 5, 2007

On my way, hanging out at Heathrow for 8 hours.

Hello!I am in Heathrow airport right now. (Well, I was while I was writing this.) It is overcast, gloomy, and expensive here, so at least England doesn't disappoint in that respect. I don't have enough time to go explore London at all, which I guess is just was well, since I am grumpy and tired anyway.

There are these vending machines in the bathrooms that sell something called chewable toothbrushes. I am guessing that they are just pieces of sugarless gum you can buy that are super minty fresh and make you feel like you brushed your teeth. Smart gimmick though. If I had a pound note I would buy one out of curiosity. But I have no pound note, so I just brushed my teeth instead.

I will be in India soon, and I am dreading how hot and stinky it is going to be. I got in the habit of taking long deep breaths over the past week in Seattle, because I don't think I am going to like what I am breathing in when I get to Mumbai. Oh well, I guess I will get used to it.
The movie system on the flight over here was stupid. They had a selection of movies, but instead of giving you a menu so that you could choose which movie you wanted to watch and letting you start it whenever you wanted, they just played all the movies on various channels the whole time. But they didn't say when the movies were actually starting. (I think they started playing them while they were serving supper.) But if you wanted to watch anything, you had to guess at when to turn on your tv. So I read a book. Not a great movie selection anyway. (Incidentally, why are so many airlines playing "the astronaut farmer?" Who the hell did billy bob pay off?) I deem the entertainment system of the airline I took to Taiwan last year to be vastly superior to the entertainment system of British Airways.

One thing that was scary was seeing a car bomb attack in Glasgow airport being reported on while waiting at the Heathrow airport. It was all over the tvs at the airport. It was weird thinking how close it all was. H was fine though. Did make me a bit jumpy though! Especially with the terror alerts in London recently. Made it though fine though.

That's all for now!

No comments: